Skip to main content

Saturday Sweetly: Butterfinger Cake

Last week was my Dad's birthday, and unfortunately I did not get  out a blog post on Monday like normal. I do have a nice detailed post about his birthday weekend for this Monday however. First, though, I thought I would share the recipe for the birthday cake we fixed Dad. We have the tradition of picking our favorite dessert as our "birthday cake," so we can pick from pies, cakes, cookies or more. This time, though, Dad went traditional and chose this for his birthday cake:
Click to Enlarge
Now, this is one of my personal favorites because I love chocolate and I love butterfingers. So, this cake wraps up what I love in food into one convenient 9x13 pan. To begin this recipe, you need to know to make this the day before you want to
eat it. The topping has to sit on the cake and soak in a while. Now, first things first, here are the ingredients needed for this recipe.

  • 1 Devil's food cake mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 jar (12.25 ounces) caramel topping
  • 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
  • 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 container (8 ounces) cool whip
  • 8 ounces crushed butterfingers, divided
Then, the first step is to make devil's food cake by following the instructions on the cake box.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
 Once that is baking in the oven, you will want to make the caramel topping. 
Click to Enlarge
 Let that sit until the cake is done. Next, chop up 4 ounces of butterfingers into bite sized chunks. (The original recipe says crushed, but from the first picture you can tell we basically cut them into bite sized pieces.) When you pull the cake out of the oven, give the syrup one last stir, and then do this.
Click to Enlarge
Now, sprinkle 4oz. of the butterfingers over that.  Now the cake is done...for today.  Stick it in the fridge overnight.
Click to Enlarge
The last step is to prepare the "icing" basically. This is made of the cream cheese and cool whip. 
Click to Enlarge
Sprinkle the last 4 ounces of chopped butterfingers to the top. If you do this early, they will get damp from the cool whip mixture. 
Click to Enlarge
 Voila! Delicious cake, and simple too. Have you ever had a cake with candy bars in it? Tell me about it through Facebook, or the comment section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With Apologies to Robert Frost

I have a class for school called Speech. This is supposed to help me learn how to stand properly while speaking, pronounce words properly, and so on. The most recent section is on how to give meaning and feeling to a  poem when reading one out loud. My teacher, Mrs. Autrey, has been reciting poems to us as examples, and she uses a variety such as happy poems, sad poems, thoughtful and so on. One of them that caught my attention was a funny remake of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.   The original is one of my favorite poems, and I have always loved the other poetic works of Robert Frost. Here is the original poem: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost   Whose woods these are I think I know.    His house is in the village though;    He will not see me stopping here    To watch his woods fill up with snow.    My little horse must think it queer   

Annual Church Picnic 2015

Sorry this post is coming out so late in the day; I am still new to a lot of features on Picasa and spent a lot of time playing with some features on it to make this video. This is just some of the pictures from a church picnic we had on Saturday. If you would like to see the rest of the photos, feel free to check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Iglesia-Bautista-Esperanza-115354441878939/timeline/ .

Monday Munchies: Peanut Butter Blossoms

Today's recipe has a little more work involved than some of my recipes I've shared, but the result is worth the effort. The ingredients for these cookies are as follows: