Skip to main content

Tuesday Tasties: Seared Skirt Steak

Finally! I'm sorry I could not get this post out yesterday, but I simply ran out of time in the day. Today, the recipe is skirt steak. This is a piece of meat that I am sure can be cooked a variety of ways, but we will focused on cast iron skillet searing it, because that is how I know to cook it.
Click image to enlarge.
Now, just to warn you right now: you might need to disconnect your smoke alarm for this recipe. A combination of high heat and oil on a cast iron pan means lots of smoke! Here
are some examples:
Click image to enlarge.
The exhaust above the stove was on, the nearby window and kitchen door were open, but the smoke just kept coming! The entire room was very hazy, and I am surprised that the smoke alarm was not tripped. Maybe we should check that soon. Anyways, just be warned that it will get a little smoky during this recipe, and don't be alarmed. So, the ingredients for this recipe are as follows:

  • 1 Skirt Steak
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • salt
  • pepper
You will also need some paper towels, a cooling rack (just to hold the resting meat), and a large bowl or some aluminum foil. Here is how you start this recipe.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
The measurements were not specific for the salt and pepper, simply "season liberally." However, Alton did say that he puts 1/4 teaspoon salt and half that in pepper per side. We tried this, and it was a tad salty for our taste. Just make sure you put enough to give the meat some flavor, so you do not have to add salt after it is cooked. Once you have finished seasoning both sides of the meat:
Click image to enlarge.
While the meat sits, for the last three minutes of its sitting time you could preheat the skillet.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
Not moving the meat allows it to get a crispier outside. Cook the first side three minutes, then flip the meat and repeat. Also, put the "pretty" side of the meat first on the skillet. When the meat is flipped, the pan won't be as hot, so the second side won't look as pretty. Once the second side of the meat has cooked for three minutes, remove the meat from the skillet and do this.
Click image to enlarge.
Click image to enlarge.
The reason we cut skirt steak against the grain is because it is a very tough piece of meat. Cutting across the grain will lead to short meat fibers and easier-to-chew slices. Make sure the slices are thin, too.
Click image to enlarge.
And there it is! An easy recipe, altogether, and some simple ingredients, too. I hope you like this blog post, and if you have any comments leave them below or on my share to Facebook.

Comments

  1. I don't particularly like skirt steak because it's too chewy. I also don't like burnt meat. BUT, I really liked this!! I guess the cutting across the grain, coupled with the thin slices, really fixed the whole "chewy" issue. And, although the meat looks burnt it's really just a tasty outer crunch in this case. So, while not something I would have thought I would have liked, it was really good. But, it also disappeared really quickly!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With Apologies to Robert Frost

I have a class for school called Speech. This is supposed to help me learn how to stand properly while speaking, pronounce words properly, and so on. The most recent section is on how to give meaning and feeling to a  poem when reading one out loud. My teacher, Mrs. Autrey, has been reciting poems to us as examples, and she uses a variety such as happy poems, sad poems, thoughtful and so on. One of them that caught my attention was a funny remake of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.   The original is one of my favorite poems, and I have always loved the other poetic works of Robert Frost. Here is the original poem: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost   Whose woods these are I think I know.    His house is in the village though;    He will not see me stopping here    To watch his woods fill up with snow.    My little horse must think it queer   

Annual Church Picnic 2015

Sorry this post is coming out so late in the day; I am still new to a lot of features on Picasa and spent a lot of time playing with some features on it to make this video. This is just some of the pictures from a church picnic we had on Saturday. If you would like to see the rest of the photos, feel free to check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Iglesia-Bautista-Esperanza-115354441878939/timeline/ .

Monday Munchies: Peanut Butter Blossoms

Today's recipe has a little more work involved than some of my recipes I've shared, but the result is worth the effort. The ingredients for these cookies are as follows: