Skip to main content

Cursive Is Outdated?

First off, I am sorry for not having a post last Monday. We have been busy this week, and it got lost along the way. I also know this post is not on a normal day, but I figured a late post is better than no post at all! My dad shared this cartoon with me on Facebook, and I think this is a problem today.
  
I see so many posts, mostly on Facebook, about kids in school not learning cursive. I know one example was a kindergartner who wrote her name in cursive. Her teacher kept telling her to not write her name in cursive, but the
little girl kept doing it. While I can understand this little girl's pride at learning cursive from a Mom who travels a lot for her employment, and her desire to show this off, this little girl is not showing a respect for authority. More than proving she can write "prettier" than the other students, she needs to follow her authority like this verse says to do: Heb 13:17a "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves." Even so, what is wrong with cursive? This teacher was adamant that this girl not write her name in cursive, yet some say that the teacher started to write her admonition in cursive, then scratched it out and rewrote it again in print. So why is cursive not allowed? Here are some reasons I have found.
  1. Some complain that it is outdated: computers do not read or write cursive, so no one uses it. 
  2. Others complain it takes too much time to teach. 
  3. Even others say it looks "stupid." 
What are my thoughts on the matter? Well, as far as it being outdated; maybe if kids (and adults) did not spend all their time texting and tweeting and snap-chatting and whatever else there is, they would realize there is a life outside their phones and laptops and computers. Then they could write something down on a nice piece of paper, instead of in Microsoft word or a digital notepad. They could then stick it in an envelope and send it out near the middle of winter. Its called a Christmas card.

As far as taking too much time to teach: those who said it would take too much time to teach also said to replace it with another class like keyboarding. I am currently taking keyboarding. First I learned the home row keys, then the top and bottom tow keys, then the numbers and symbols. That was a quarter of the course, at the most. Now I am learning how to key memos, personal business letters, and business letters. Why do you need to teach a kindergartner keyboarding? That course is available in later grades and is easier to learn when you are a teen rather than when you are 5 years old. Better to teach a little kid how to make their writing "pretty" than to teach them how to key a business letter they won't need for 20 years.

Now, as for the cursive alphabet looking "stupid." The specific letter people complain about is the letter "Q." The way I have learned to make a capital 'Q'  is almost a "2" with a loop in the top; the lowercase 'q' I learned simply had a loop in the stick on the bottom of the letter. Like this:
Now I admit the capital letter 'Q' I learned is weird. However, this is not the cursive letter I normally see. This is the style I normally find:
Do you know what this is? 'Q' It is a capital 'Q' with a curly form, so people think it is wrong. I think the reason people really complain about cursive is because they never learned it. They have no knowledge of this awesome looking way of writing, but they do not want to admit it, so instead they want to have it removed from schools. People have used this form of writing for hundreds of years, all the way back to the Revolutionary War, and before that. It is an elegant way of writing that is also very quick to use.

In finishing, I find no reason to not teach a little kid cursive. Yeah, it is a little hard to teach and learn, but so is math and reading and science. Teaching cursive is better than teaching evolution in their "science" classes. Plus, it makes your kid look smart. Thoughts or opinions on this? Contact me through Facebook or leave a comment in the section below.

Comments

  1. Cursive writing adds elegance to penmanship. Also, a signature written in cursive is so much more unique and personal than a signature that is simply printed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately this is very true. I know several seniors who may be able to half way sign their name in cursive but have no idea how to write with it in any other way. Some of them even want to learn how to but have no one to teach them how. Fortunately, however, it is not completely unreachable. I also know a senior who can write in cursive, however, he is also one the smartest people I have found in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August, you imply that you have to be someone with high IQ to write in cursive. This is not true. Everyone is perfectly capable of learning cursive. It is a pattern you follow. For a young child, tying shoe laces can be daunting. However, by practicing the pattern the child learns the task of tying shoes. As with tying shoes, cursive also can be learned through effort and practice.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. That is not what I meant to imply. To me being smart does not just include your IQ level, it also includes your desire and diligence. Anyone with enough diligence can teach himself how to write in cursive. Because he has realized that it is a worthwhile endeavor and worked towards it I consider that individual smart.

      Delete
    3. I agree! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With Apologies to Robert Frost

I have a class for school called Speech. This is supposed to help me learn how to stand properly while speaking, pronounce words properly, and so on. The most recent section is on how to give meaning and feeling to a  poem when reading one out loud. My teacher, Mrs. Autrey, has been reciting poems to us as examples, and she uses a variety such as happy poems, sad poems, thoughtful and so on. One of them that caught my attention was a funny remake of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.   The original is one of my favorite poems, and I have always loved the other poetic works of Robert Frost. Here is the original poem: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost   Whose woods these are I think I know.    His house is in the village though;    He will not see me stopping here    To watch his woods fill up with snow.    My little horse must think it queer   

Annual Church Picnic 2015

Sorry this post is coming out so late in the day; I am still new to a lot of features on Picasa and spent a lot of time playing with some features on it to make this video. This is just some of the pictures from a church picnic we had on Saturday. If you would like to see the rest of the photos, feel free to check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Iglesia-Bautista-Esperanza-115354441878939/timeline/ .

Monday Munchies: Peanut Butter Blossoms

Today's recipe has a little more work involved than some of my recipes I've shared, but the result is worth the effort. The ingredients for these cookies are as follows: