Skip to main content

Mujeres de Esperanza: Craft a Hanger

In the past, I have mentioned the ladies fellowship (called Mujeres de Esperanza, or Women of Hope) we hold at church. Every month we get together, no guys allowed, to have a little fellowship. The activities include: a small snack and drink, a short lesson, and a simple craft made of easy materials. Every so often, a member will volunteer to show how to make a simple craft. Today, Hermana María de los Angeles Hernández volunteered to show us how to make a pretty hanger for clothes, specifically pants.
Hermana María is the lady dressed all in pink. Click to enlarge.
So this blog post will be all about the craft that we started, but did not manage to finish, today. First, the essential materials are these:

Some wire hangers, 2 per craft, and a lot of yarn is all that is needed.
Click to enlarge.
Cookies are always essential. ;) These are Dulce de Leche.  Click to enlarge.
The snack today was Dulce de Leche cookies (caramel-coated cookies), and they are essential to keep the munchies away during the craft time. ;) So the first step was to make two baseball-sized yarn balls.
Click to enlarge.
I knew how to do none of the steps of this project, and thus Hermana María, who sat beside me, taught me everything. First you wrap the yarn around  three fingers about ten or twenty times. Then, turn it ninety degrees and start wrapping randomly. The only goal is to get a ball, it does not have to be pretty.
 My first yarn ball done. Click to enlarge.
Hermana Martha used the yellow and green yarn; I used both the multicolored yarns.
Click to enlarge.
Eventually, after a couple minutes of wrapping and turning, wrapping and turning, you will have a small ball of yarn. Once you have two balls of yarn, and have chosen two hangers of the same size and shape, you are ready to continue.
Click to enlarge.
Now, the first step is to tie a knot near the end of the hook of the hanger. just something simple but tight to keep the yarn on the hanger. Then, wrap the yarn in circles around the hook of the hanger, covering up any extra yarn left from the end of the knot. Once the extra yarn is covered, stop; this is where a pattern begins--just at the top of the hook. It is rather difficult to explain how to do this without you being here able to see the steps in motion. I know it took me at least ten minutes of Hermana María doing the same thing over and over for me to get it. However, I will do my best.
Click to enlarge.
Make sure when you pull the yarn tight, it does not overlap with previous knots.
Click to enlarge.
     You might have to read that multiple times to make sense of it, but you are basically making a knot around the hanger. It is incredibly confusing at first, moving left, right, left, right, left... Once you get in the mode, however, it becomes easier. Now here is a closer shot of the pattern the yarn makes.
Click to enlarge.
     I hope my explanation made some sense, and if it did not, I'm sorry. It is confusing to put into pictures. At the end of the fellowship, we had not finished our hangers. However, Hermana Maria and Hermana Martha both had brought examples, so you can see how it looks.
Click to enlarge.
A nice, "simple" project that was a lot of fun to learn, and will be great to finish at home! 
Hope you enjoyed learning how to make a decorative hanger, and if you have a comment, leave it below or on Facebook.

Comments

  1. Melissa A. FreemanMay 21, 2016 at 5:02 PM

    María said these hanger projects work well with pants per it helps the pants not to wrinkle. This process was confusing at first, but once you get the rhythm going, passing the yarn balls back and forth and over and under, it is fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With Apologies to Robert Frost

I have a class for school called Speech. This is supposed to help me learn how to stand properly while speaking, pronounce words properly, and so on. The most recent section is on how to give meaning and feeling to a  poem when reading one out loud. My teacher, Mrs. Autrey, has been reciting poems to us as examples, and she uses a variety such as happy poems, sad poems, thoughtful and so on. One of them that caught my attention was a funny remake of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.   The original is one of my favorite poems, and I have always loved the other poetic works of Robert Frost. Here is the original poem: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost   Whose woods these are I think I know.    His house is in the village though;    He will not see me stopping here    To watch his woods fill up with snow.    My little horse must think it queer   

Annual Church Picnic 2015

Sorry this post is coming out so late in the day; I am still new to a lot of features on Picasa and spent a lot of time playing with some features on it to make this video. This is just some of the pictures from a church picnic we had on Saturday. If you would like to see the rest of the photos, feel free to check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Iglesia-Bautista-Esperanza-115354441878939/timeline/ .

Monday Munchies: Peanut Butter Blossoms

Today's recipe has a little more work involved than some of my recipes I've shared, but the result is worth the effort. The ingredients for these cookies are as follows: