Skip to main content

Burning Rubber


Recently, I started my driving class: a home-taught driver education package that I received from my parents for Christmas. So, I started the book work, took the test, and I got my learner's license. Yay!😃
 Image result for home taught drivers education package images
Now comes the next step: more reading, but then applying what I read to actual driving. This
means that I watch my Mom do certain actions, and then perform them myself. While this had a bumpy start, at least we had the automatic transmission Ford Focus that my brother and I own in which to practice. We got through to Module 4, which covered backing, turning, using signals, using mirrors, vehicle placement in lanes, and driving in residential areas (slow speed driving.) The next step was Module 5, which apparently covered 60 mph driving and such actions. Unfortunately, August was in a crash and the car was salvaged. (August is fine.)  So, we started shopping for a new car and found a great deal! A brand new 2016 Ford Fiesta was selling for below market price at $9,995.
Unfortunately for me, this new car is a manual transmission, which means I have to restart my driving practice, using the manual.
Image result for hyundai accent hatchback 2013 transmission stick
This type car is more difficult to drive; already I have "killed" the engine more than 20 times (popped the clutch.) The most difficult part for me is to move smoothly from a stop; once I am moving I seem to do fine. I started practice in the new Ford Fiesta while my brother was home from work, but today he went to work before we could practice, and I started again with a new (to me) car, my parents' Hyundai Accent hatchback, which is also manual. The differences between my car and theirs are as follows: my car is a five speed and theirs is a six speed, mine seems to have "softer" brakes and gas, and my car is bigger and has less maneuverability. The only real problem is the brakes and gas. I am used to the Ford, and thus the Hyundai seems very touchy to me, the engine having died about 3 times before I got it to move, and then killed it again. However, I am sure I will eventually learn to not stall the car three times before moving forward, and then we can resume the driving course. Just thought I would share my driving progress with you. Ever have problems with driving a certain style car? Feel free to leave any comments below or on Facebook.

Comments

  1. Melissa A. FreemanMarch 20, 2017 at 2:35 PM

    I used to love to ride roller coasters when I as a kid. Sweet Adeleine is the 3rd teen I have taught to drive a car. Does anyone wonder why I no longer ride the roller coasters? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you'll figure it out, eventually. When I started driving I already had experience with clutches due to having ridding motorcycles for many years. Despite that experience I still had problems. I'm sure my mom didn't enjoy our first few trips out in her manual transmission Jeep Cherokee!! But, you'll figure it out and then you'll have a valuable skill for life. Manual transmission cars usually cost less and get better gas mileage, so this is something that will benefit you for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With Apologies to Robert Frost

I have a class for school called Speech. This is supposed to help me learn how to stand properly while speaking, pronounce words properly, and so on. The most recent section is on how to give meaning and feeling to a  poem when reading one out loud. My teacher, Mrs. Autrey, has been reciting poems to us as examples, and she uses a variety such as happy poems, sad poems, thoughtful and so on. One of them that caught my attention was a funny remake of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.   The original is one of my favorite poems, and I have always loved the other poetic works of Robert Frost. Here is the original poem: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost   Whose woods these are I think I know.    His house is in the village though;    He will not see me stopping here    To watch his woods fill up with snow.    My little horse must think it queer   

Annual Church Picnic 2015

Sorry this post is coming out so late in the day; I am still new to a lot of features on Picasa and spent a lot of time playing with some features on it to make this video. This is just some of the pictures from a church picnic we had on Saturday. If you would like to see the rest of the photos, feel free to check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Iglesia-Bautista-Esperanza-115354441878939/timeline/ .

Monday Munchies: Peanut Butter Blossoms

Today's recipe has a little more work involved than some of my recipes I've shared, but the result is worth the effort. The ingredients for these cookies are as follows: