Skip to main content

The Value of Voting



Value of voting
So, since my family has a home-school program, we have known where we want to go to college basically since we started school. Now, I am in 11th grade, and it is time to take the dreaded ACT test. UGH. Well, I am not that enthusiastic about it, as you can tell, but it is necessary for me to take the test in order to qualify to go to the college we all like, Pensacola Christian College. I will say more on the college and ACT this Saturday, the day I take it. However, I thought I would share with you the thoughts of one of the college students from PCC. The college has a blog, and any student (who asks) can put posts of their thoughts and opinions on practically any topic. I thought this topic (The Value of Voting) was fitting for the time, and it also gives you a view of my college-to-be. This post was by Aspen.
Remember when we were young and we wanted to change the world? We believed that we could be superheroes or become President of the United States. But what happened to that desire?
Through the years, opinions and ideologies of our generation seemed to snuff out that spark of enthusiasm. I scroll through Facebook and see about 20 different opinions about what is happening in our world. It is discouraging to see candidates ripping each other apart and being caught in lies and illegal actions. There seems to be no absolute truth.Being a college student, it can be hard to find time to search out the truth. And, let’s be honest, it isn’t always popular to state your opinion because there seems to be a ton of people who will cut you down as soon as you open your mouth or publicly share your opinion.But this is not the time to be silent.Our nation is crumbling around us because people are too busy or too shy to stand up. Many decisions will be made these next few years concerning the fate of the United States. With the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a new Supreme Court justice will have to be appointed. There are many important decisions to be made, and it is critical that the person influencing those choices can be trusted if our country is to thrive. One vote may seem like it does not make a large difference, but seeing that you voted may influence others to vote as well. Seek out the truth and develop your opinion. It takes only a small spark to start a wildfire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With Apologies to Robert Frost

I have a class for school called Speech. This is supposed to help me learn how to stand properly while speaking, pronounce words properly, and so on. The most recent section is on how to give meaning and feeling to a  poem when reading one out loud. My teacher, Mrs. Autrey, has been reciting poems to us as examples, and she uses a variety such as happy poems, sad poems, thoughtful and so on. One of them that caught my attention was a funny remake of the famous poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.   The original is one of my favorite poems, and I have always loved the other poetic works of Robert Frost. Here is the original poem: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost   Whose woods these are I think I know.    His house is in the village though;    He will not see me stopping here    To watch his woods fill up with snow.    My little horse must think it queer   

Annual Church Picnic 2015

Sorry this post is coming out so late in the day; I am still new to a lot of features on Picasa and spent a lot of time playing with some features on it to make this video. This is just some of the pictures from a church picnic we had on Saturday. If you would like to see the rest of the photos, feel free to check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Iglesia-Bautista-Esperanza-115354441878939/timeline/ .

Monday Munchies: Peanut Butter Blossoms

Today's recipe has a little more work involved than some of my recipes I've shared, but the result is worth the effort. The ingredients for these cookies are as follows: